National Picnic Week 17th- 25th June
What perfect timing – the beautiful weather we are experiencing here in the UK currently coincides with National Picnic Week.
Picnics are on the rise in the UK, with more people choosing to spend time away from phones and other devices, and enjoy quality time with friends or family instead.
It’s proven that getting fresh air and sunlight is good for you. So why not grab a blanket and head outdoors with your favourite people and favourite food.
Don’t forget your sunscreen!
5 Picnic facts
- The average person picnics at least three times a year, that’s 94 million picnics per year.
- Originally, a picnic was a fashionable social event to which each guest contributed some food.
- The French started the modern fashion for picnics when they opened their royal parks to the public after the revolution of 1789.
- The use of the phrase “no picnic” to describe something difficult dates back to 1884.
- The most popular picnic snack fifty years ago was the humble cheese sandwich. Now, it’s a bag of crisps.